Skip to main content

HaPpy Mother's Day!



This past weekend we all celebrated Mother’s Day with our most significant motherly figures. I’m so grateful to have my Mother and 84 year old maternal grandmother still here to be celebrated. I can’t help but appreciate and admire the sacrifice of motherhood.  I‘ve had the honor and privilege to be surrounded by strong, intelligent, nurturing and god-fearing women  who have made copious contributions to my life that have equipped me to arrive in this place . I reflect today on the two most influential women who are no longer here to celebrate with us. I remember Verdie Powell Dillon and Marion Redden Dillon:

    I was born in a hospital in McComb, Mississippi, but my family resided in beautiful Magnolia a little ways down the road. I was fortunate to live in a household that included my Great-great Aunt, Verdie Powell Dillon.  She was a quiet natured lady, with soft answers and an always pleasant disposition. She never had a harsh answer, her wisdom was always relevant and reprimand was given with a gentle implied sternness.  We called her “Aunt T”, but she was so much more than an Aunt. She and my great-great uncle, OW Dillon, raised my grandfather, so she considered herself our great grandmother.   When I think of those formative years my sisters and I were under the watchful eye of Mama, Aunt T, Mrs. Patterson, Mrs. Richardson, the Lillie Mae Bryant Federated Club and whomever made their way down Dillon Street.  We were destined for success. God placed Aunt T in our lives and I believe my life would be much different without having her around during those critical years. She went home to be with the Lord more than 30 years ago, but I can still remember  and feel her love.

Marion Redden Dillon
My grandmother, whom we affectionately called Momee, lived a few miles from Magnolia, in Greensburg, Louisiana. At that time the population of Greensburg was probably abt 500. The town had no traffic lights and there was only 1 stop sign. I can remember on several occasions having to stop for what seemed like hours at cattle crossings waiting for cows to cross the road.  Momee, lived in the real country, down a gravel road with no street lights.  She was so sophisticated it was hard to believe she came from the back woods of Louisiana. An important figure in the lives of my siblings and I, she had so much class and was always so calm. Momee was born Marion Redden to Fannie Montgomery and Dave Redden in Greensburg, St. Helena Parish, La. She was a lifelong member of Turner Chapel AME Church, formerly Crossroads AME Church. Generations of our family are buried right there. She graduated from Grambling State University in Ruston, La and received a Master’s Degree from Southeastern Louisiana University in Hammond, La. She was an educator and educate is what she did best. Momee could educate not only students in her classroom, she could educate the common man with practical solutions for everyday living.   Dilemma? No problem, she always had a solution. She was a concerned neighbor and friend; I can recall her sending us, on foot, almost a half-mile up the road to feed her elderly neighbor’s hogs. Lol, not so much fun in the sweltering Louisiana heat, but Momee was concerned.  Everything she had was absolutely perfect. She had the Finest China, Royal Duchess pattern by Modern China and Table Institute Inc., in pristine condition. She made the best Jambalaya, her ribs were to die for, and don’t even mention her 7-up cake.   I remember her teaching us how bake a Red Velvet cake over the phone, 562 miles away.  That cake was so good, her secret was to … well, I won’t tell that. But my sis still uses that recipe today. At my 8th grade graduation, I decided along with my fellow classmate to wear my cap tilted a little to the side, so my bangs would show. During the ceremony, I saw Momee stand up and start making her way to the front, she donned the stage, swept my bangs back, adjusted my cap and said, “now that’s how it’s supposed to be”, turned around and exited the platform with the grace of a queen. Well, alright Momee.  When the postman would arrive with a package from Greensburg, La, we’d all make a mad dash to the living room to open the box. She would ship packages with our summer clothes each summer;  store bought clothing for my sisters, always homemade for me because I was a little “stout” as she would put it.   I could go on for days about my grandmother, but I loved that lady so much and I cherish her memory greatly.   

So as a mother, I strive to live in the same grace and dignity both of these women did, setting an example for the next generation to follow. I glean from their lives, accomplishments and experiences. Although I miss both of them greatly, I am so grateful to God for placing such influence in my life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Dillon Family: Education in the Rural South

O. W. Dillon As we culminate Black History Month, I’d like to take a moment to salute the contributions of a few great men and women in my family. The 13 sons and daughters of my great great grandparents, Thomas J and Angeline Dillon of Pike County, Mississippi. Thomas J and Angeline raised a family of visionaries and leaders, equipped with a desire to make a meaningful impact on the lives of all those they came in contact with. In the early 1900’s they began to venture out on a quest to obtain a higher education at some of the most notable institutions available to them at the time. Alcorn State University, Tuskegee Institute, Hampton Institute, Southern University, Dillard University and Grambling State University to name a few. Returning one by one, determined to extend the opportunity of an education to the rural south. Under the leadership of their oldest brother, Professor Oliver Wendell Dillon, they were sent out into the rural areas of Louisiana and Mississip

Dr. Kara V. Jackson : She believed she could, so she did

Dr. Kara Vaughn Jackson   ( The Gramblinite,1965 ) Kara Enid Vaughn was born June 7, 1908, in  Chatawa, Mississippi to Benjamin and Angeline Dillon Vaughn. Benjamin was the younger brother of my 2nd great grandmother, Angeline Vaughn Dillon.  The Vaughn's were a close knit  family of farm laborers that had a strong desire to see all of their children educated, and through hard work and many sacrifices, were able to see that dream realized. Kara was home-schooled by her Aunt  until the age of 10 and was sent to live with relatives in Gary, Indiana while she attended the historic Froebel High School.   Froebel has a history of it's own as one of the first schools in the nation to integrate.  She  went on to complete her undergraduate studies at Southern University in Baton Rouge, Louisiana .   ( The Gramblinite,1965 ) Kara began her career as a teacher at a rural training school while working her way through Southern University. She began her work at  Grambling in 1937 at the re

The Nelsons of Pointe Coupee

What can I say about the Nelson Family that hasn't already been said? How do we continue such a rich legacy of God, Family and Service?  One of my favorite qoutes of our patriach, Albert Abram Nelson, sums it all up. "Keep your hand on the plow and keep your eye on the lightpost in heaven". Albert Nelson Albert Abram Nelson was born July 23, 1895 in Brooks, Louisiana. I'm sure it was hot that day. His parents, August and Josephine, likely worked the field in the sweltering Louisiana heat. August Nelson, a lifeling resident of Pointe Coupee Parish, was born in the 1860's to William and Mary Nelson. Josephine St. Louis Nelson was born in the 1870's to Oscar St. Louis and Marie Rose Paul.  Albert had 7 siblings, Lula "Eliska"(a common creole name), George, Alexander , August "Bonchamp", Rose, Viola and Vernita. Albert served in WWI and was drafted at a young age, family lore says it was around age 14, but historical accounts would m